E-2 Treaty Investor Status for a Taiwanese Client
Client: A Start-up Restaurant
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Beneficiary’s Nationality: Taiwanese
Case Type: I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker/ E-2 Status for Treaty Investors
BACKGROUND: Our client retained us to secure a status for its manager. The manager wished to work in the U.S. after graduation.
Date of Application: July 16, 2014
Date of Approval: October 21, 2014
WE HELPED OUR CLIENT PROVE that the beneficiary—
- Is a national of a treaty state eligible for this status, and
- Has invested, been in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States (sufficient to ensure successful operation of the enterprise), and
- Will be seeking to enter the U.S only for investment enterprise, by showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position or other corporate device.
CHALLENGE: Unfortunately, E-2, Treaty Investor, Status is not available to all aspiring entrepreneurs. That person must be the national of a eligible state of territory which had signed an investment treaty with the United States.
Therefore, the first challenge is to find whether this status is available for the client.
Second, the client needs to secure sufficient capital for a practical plan.
Third, you need to timely file all the relevant paperwork, which our business visa team will be happy to navigate through on your behalf. You need more than a registered company to make your dream enterprise real and legal.
ABOUT THREE MONTHS LATER, the manager’s E-2 (Treaty Investor) status was approved.
Latest posts by Richard Herman (see all)
- Decriminalization of Marijuana and Your Immigration Status - July 25, 2017
- Immigration: Deportation and Voluntary Departure - June 1, 2017
- Conditions in Immigration Detention Facilities - May 11, 2017